Thursday, September 9, 2021

Tennis Doesn't Need Drama Queens

Naomi The Drama Queen
Tennis fans are hoping that they have seen the last of Naomi Osaka for at least this year. In a tearful press conference following her defeat at the hands of Leylah Fernandez last 3 September at the US Open, she said she's "going to take a break for a while."

Osaka, the defending US Open champion, had a bratty and spoildy meltdown during her third round match with Fernandez, throwing her racket to the court several times and walking off into a bathroom without telling anyone her plans. She was also issued a warning for hitting a ball into the stands, a sign of very poor sportsmanship.

When she returned from her unannounced bathroom break, she was distracted and rushed. Almost all of the spectators in the stand began heavily backing the upstart Fernandez, who triumphed in the match by scores of 5-7, 7-6 (2), 6-4.

In a news conference following her defeat, Osaka admitted that "recently, like, when I win, I don’t feel happy. I feel more like a relief. And then when I lose, I feel very sad. I don’t think that's normal."

She then began her usual drama by crying in front of the cameras. In cue, the moderator attempted to end the media session, but as expected Osaka said she wanted to continue with the drama.

"Basically I feel like I’m kind of at this point where I’m trying to figure out what I want to do, and I honestly don't know when I'm going to play my next tennis match," Osaka said. "I think I’m going to take a break from playing for a while."

It is safe to say that fans will be relieve to hear her declare a "break from tennis". Hopefully, she will not return because the sports doesn't need this kind of behaviour.

Ordinary working folks need a break, but they can't. They cannot afford it while the highest paid female tennis player needs only to shed a few tears to keep sponsors coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment