Saturday, September 25, 2021

More Soccer Players Have Stopped Taking The Knee

Marcos Alonso
After fans backlash and several criticisms, more professional league soccer players have stopped kneeling as a sign of protest to whatever social agenda they have on mind.

The latest one to do this is Chelsea Premier League stand out Marcos Alonso. He will join Ivan Toney and Wilfried Zaha, who have have also stopped taking the knee.

The Spanish left back, 30, has not taken a knee in recent games for Chelsea and after his man of the match display against Tottenham last 19 September, he's been talking about the anti-racism gesture.

"I am fully against racism and I’m against every type of discrimination and I just prefer to put my finger to the badge where it says No To Racism, like they do in some other sports and football in other countries," Alonso said. "I prefer to do it this way and, of course, to say very clearly that I am against racism and I respect everybody."

Asked if this decision was political, this was Alonso's response.

"I don’t know. I just prefer to do it this way, it’s my way to do it, and maybe I think it’s losing a bit of strength the other way. So I just prefer to do it this way and to show I am fully supportive of fighting against racism. For now I prefer to point to the sleeve and that’s what I will do."

No comments:

Post a Comment